Senior Legal Consultant
Tel: (+966-12) 665-4353
00966-509 520 465
Fax: (+966-12) 669-2996
P.O. Box 2256, Jeddah 21451
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Rahul Goswami focuses his practice on domestic and regional matters that pertain to various commercial, energy, infrastructure and project financing matters with a particular emphasis on contentious and non-contentious dispute resolution including arbitration and settlement of claims through negotiation. Drawing on a wealth of domestic and international experience, Mr. Goswami counsels both Saudi Arabian and foreign clients who are investing or doing business in Saudi Arabia or elsewhere within the region. Mr. Goswami is recognised for his “cross-border capability” (Legal 500 EMEA 2011) and for “working on large number of projects as local counsel”(Legal 500 EMEA 2015) and is also recognised in the Chambers & Partners Global and IFLR 1000.
Awards and Recognition
Recognized as leading lawyer in Legal 500 (Europe, Middle East & Africa), Chambers Global and IFLR 1000.
“The Law Firm of Hassan Mahassni, in association with Dechert LLP, is ‘a first choice’ for domestic litigation and International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration matters. Recent work included acting in litigation surrounding the Qurayyah power project. On the arbitration side, the group is defending a major Korean construction group against a SAR 80 million breach of contract claim. Rahul Goswami and Hassan Mahassni are the key names.” – Legal 500, Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2017 Edition (Dispute Resolution)
“Experienced in power and infrastructure projects, the Law Firm of Hassan Mahassni in association with Dechert LLP has worked on large IPPs, industrial complexes and transport facilities. Rahul Goswami is the key name.” – Legal 500, Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2017 Edition (Projects and Energy)
“Rahul Goswami’s team at Law Firm of Hassan Mahassni in association with Dechert LLP is advising on the construction of 4,000MW Qurayyah IPP.” – Legal 500, Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2016 Edition (Projects and Energy)
“The ‘first-class’ team at Law Firm of Hassan Mahassni in association with Dechert LLP is singled out for its experience in litigation and ICC arbitration. Hassan Mahassni and Rahul Goswami represented a leading European cosmetics company in an ICC arbitration case against a major Saudi Arabian entity for alleged illegal termination of its agency agreement.”- Legal 500, Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2016 Edition (Dispute Resolution).
“Law Firm of Hassan Mahassni in association with Dechert LLP has a longstanding track record of acting on big-ticket project finance transactions. Among other matters, it advised the Saudi Binladin Group on a number of financing arrangements, including a SAR6.4bn shari’ah-compliant multi-option facilities arrangement. Rahul Goswami and Firas Sawaf also advised ACWA Power, Samsung, Saudi Electric Company and Al Mourjan for Electricity Production on the financing arrangements for the Rabigh II independent power project”.- Legal 500, Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2016 Edition (Banking and Finance)
“Senior Associates Rahul Goswami and Zaid Mahayni have been working on a number of large projects as local counsel….” – IFLR 1000 2015 Edition.
“Rahul Goswami is a key figure in the team at Law Firm of Hassan Mahassni, which is currently advising Saudi Binladin Group on the $7.2bn terminal and control tower development project at King Abdulaziz International Airport. Highlights included advising a major Korean EPC contractor on contractual issues relating to a $1.9bn gas project with Saudi Arabian Oil Company”-Legal 500, Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2014 Edition.
Energy, Natural Resources and Infrastructure
- Acting as local counsel for a leading Saudi Arabian power company for the 120 MW Wind Farm Khalladi Greenfield Independent Power Project (IPP)
- Advising a leading Saudi Arabian power and utilities company on the 200MW Noor II CSP greenfield Solar Project.
- A well known group for the tendering first phase of the SR45 billion Jeddah Metro Project.
- A leading Saudi Arabian group in connection with the approximately SR10.5 billion King Abdulaziz International Airport development project including the construction contracts of the Terminal Complex, Control Tower and supporting facilities for the KAIA development project phase I in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- A renowned EPC Contractor in one of the biggest gas projects in recent Saudi Arabian history. The advice primarily pertains to various contractual issues and variations orders in relation to the fractionalization and gas inlet contract valued at approximately US$2 billion. The investment for the entire project is more than US$4.7 billion and once completed, the project is estimated to increase Saudi Arabia’s gas production capacity by around 21%.
- A well known Saudi Arabian Group in relation to the estimated SR25.5 billion Makkah Public Transport Program, Makkah Metro Project Phase I.
- Members of one of the consortia that were awarded work connected to the US$22.5 billion Riyadh Metro Project.
- A well known power and water company in relation to various power and desalination projects including concentrated solar power projects.
- The project company on various contractual issues in relation to Saudi electricity company’s first independent power project.
- A major European heavy engineering and petrochemical group in relation to contractual issues pertaining to their multibillion dollar EPC contract for a Polyethylene Plant in Jubail, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- A major Saudi Arabian water and electricity company in connection with an SAR40 million housing project.
- A leading Taiwanese construction company in connection with its construction and joint venture projects in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- A major Saudi Arabian company in connection with its 70,000 cu. m/day sea water reverse osmosis desalination project and 30,000 cu. m/day membrane bio reactor sewage treatment project in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- A renowned European consortium in connection with their various contractual issues in a Gulf Cooperation Council Interconnection Authority funded GCC Grid interconnection project valued at approximately US$1 billion.
- A major EPC contractor in relation to their commercial and contractual amendments issues with a well known Saudi Arabian oil company.
- A general engineering consultancy firm and contracting service provider in connection with its restructuring and joint venture agreements in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- A renowned Taiwanese construction company in connection with its construction and joint venture projects in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Advising a well known EPC Contractor on the various claims for a US$ 830 million mining related project.
- Advising one of the shareholder on the various project disputes for the Greenfield Qurayyah IPP project, the largest combined cycle gas fired Independent Power Plant with a capacity of 3927 MW.
- A well known Saudi Arabian group in connection with various construction contracts issues of the iconic 400 metres tall Capital Market Authority Tower.
- Advised a well known Shipping Company in relation to their multi million dollar claims against a well known Saudi Arabian oil company.
- A well known shipping company for preparation of an Expert Report for a case instituted in the Southern District Court of New York.
- A global leader in adhesive technologies, surface treatments and home care products in connection their claim in excess of SR. 76.5 million against a well known Saudi Arabian Group for alleged breach of the technical assistance agreement along with the infringement of its trademarks and industrial property licenses.
- A leading European beauty products and cosmetic company in their ICC Arbitration case with a major Saudi Arabian entity for alleged illegal termination of their agency relationship and alleged claim of damages in an amount of around SR. 35 million.
- A Korean Company in their ICC Arbitration proceedings against a Saudi Arabian Construction Company for alleged numerous breaches of the subcontract agreement for construction of a leading petroleum studies and research center.
- A major foreign financial management consulting group company in relation to the Saudi Arabian tax claim lawsuit against them in an amount of around SR5.5 million.
- A major German heavy engineering company in connection with its dispute with a local subcontractor relating to a multibillion dollar petrochemical project in Al-Jubail, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- A consortium of European contractors in connection with their US$534 million electric submarine cable system project dispute.
- A major Saudi Arabian water and electricity company in relation to various disputed issues with its EPC contractor relating to its US$1.47 billion EPC contract.
- A leading U.S. construction company in connection with its US$925 million petroleum project dispute in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, one of the largest in the world in its category.
- A major Saudi Arabian company in connection with its distributorship agreement dispute with a major Asian automobile manufacturer.
- A renowned Insurance Group in relation to a Marine Cargo Claim, in an amount of US$36.4 million.
- A well known Saudi Arabian Group in their Saudi Riyals (SR) 3.2 Billion construction contract for a futuristic women University in Saudi Arabia against their European sub contractors.
- A consortium of UK Banks and financial institutions for cases instituted in the UK courts in relation to approximate US$ 5 billion Bank defaults including misappropriation, mismanagement and loan irregularities of banking facilities against a well known Saudi family conglomerate.
- A major Saudi Arabian Group in connection with the SR6.02 billion Shari’ah-compliant multi-option facilities arrangement (including a letter of credit facility, a guarantee issuing facility and a Murabaha facility) with a supplemental funding limit of SAR1.5 billion relating to the major works for the King Abdullah Security Buildings Development Project.
- A major Saudi Arabian Group in connection with the SR3.40 billion Shari’ah compliant syndicated multi-option facilities in relation to development of several Metro Stations in Makkah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- A major Saudi Arabian contractor in connection with increment of facilities up to SR10.5 billion Shari’ah-compliant multi-option facility arrangements (including a letter of credit facility, a guarantee issuing facility and a Murabaha facility) relating to the major expansion and construction of the new Terminal Complex, Control Tower and other supporting facilities for the King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- A major Saudi Arabian contractor in connection with the restructuring of the high-profile SR1 billion Shari’ah-compliant multi-option banking facilities (including a letter of credit facility, a guarantee issuing facility and a Murabaha facility) relating to the construction works for the landmark Capital Market Authority Tower in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- A major Saudi Arabian contractor in connection with the SAR5.5 billion Shari’ah-compliant financing arrangement relating to the construction works for King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- The sponsors in connection with the project financing arrangements for the development of three cogeneration plants at Abqaiq, Hawiya and Ras Tanura in the Eastern Province of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for providing 900 MW of power to Saudi Aramco with a total project investment of around US$650 million.
- The project company in connection with the around US$1.2 billion project financing arrangement for the new Prince Muhammad bin Abdulaziz International Airport at Madinah, Saudi Arabia in relation to the Shari’ah-compliant build-transfer-operate transaction, the second build-transfer-operate airport project in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Intellectual Property, Telecommunication and Technology
- A leading multi-billion US conglomerate in relation to a detailed report on Telecommunications, IT, IP and Data Protection issues.
- A technology start-up in connection with technology transfer and patent license arrangements.
- A leading U.S. medical robotic arm manufacturing with the various Saudi Food and Drug Authority medical devices registration process.
- A leading infrastructure and construction company in relation to their various software license issues with Microsoft.
- A leading U.S. based aerospace, electronic systems and security solutions company for their projects in Saudi Arabia.
- A leading European investment bank in relation to the Saudi Arabian telecommunication regulatory issues including the recently introduced Mobile Virtual Network Operator licensing regime.
- An international gaming company in relation to certain type of on-line social games and their interface with various social networking sites like Facebook.
- A major Singaporean hotel and infrastructure group in connection with its trademark litigation in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- A leading bank in relation to its various IP outsourcing policies and contracts and related IT matters.
- A major U.S. telecom and technology company regarding the parameters and prevalence of encryption technology and other related telecom and IT matters in Saudi Arabia.
- A major Saudi Arabian hospital group, with operations in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the GCC region, in connection with its multimillion dollar hospital information system software license dispute.
Delhi High Court Bar Association (India), 2006
Supreme Court of India, 2008
Bar Council of Delhi
Delhi University, St. Stephen’s College, B.A. (Hons), History, 1999
Delhi University, Campus Law Centre, LL.B., 2002
Deemed University, Indian Law Institute, Diploma in Cyber Laws, 2003
University of Sheffield, LL.M. with Distinction , International, Commercial and European Law , 2004
Saudi Arabian Oil and Gas, Q&A published by Thomson Reuters, Global Guide:
Lead Co Author of the Saudi Arabia Chapter in the 7th Edition of “The International Arbitration Review” to be published in October 2016 by the Law Business Research Ltd, London (The Law Reviews)
Lead Co Author of the Saudi Arabia Chapter in the 5th Edition of “The Projects and Construction Review” published in August 2015 by the Law Business Research Ltd, London (The Law Reviews)
Lead Co Author of the Saudi Arabia Chapter in the 5th Edition of “The Technology, Media and Telecommunications Review” published in November 2014 by the Law Business Research Ltd, London (The Law Reviews)
“The draft corporate governance guide for Saudi Arabian family companies” (co-author), IFLR 2014 Legislation Guide