Tel: (+966-12) 665-4353
Fax: (+966-12) 669-2996
P.O. Box 2256, Jeddah 21451
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Mr. Sawaf specializes in corporate and commercial transactions and has significant experience in foreign investment and joint venture transactions, mergers and acquisitions, Public Private Partnership (PPP) projects and corporate formations and liquidations. Mr. Sawaf is regularly advises Middle Eastern, European, American and Asian companies in connection with high-profile corporate and commercial transactions and PPP projects in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to the developers of Jazan Economic City in relation to the establishment of the various corporate vehicles for Jazan Economic City, including JEC Land Company Limited, JEC Ports Operation Company Limited, JEC Power Company Limited, JEC Water Company Limited, JEC Integrated Steel Company Limited, JEC Auto Assembly and Manufacturing Industries Company Limited, JEC Ships Building and Repairs Company Limited and JEC Technology Services Company Limited, and all corporate and regulatory matters relating thereto. Jazan Economic City, a US$ 30 Billion project, is the fourth mega city development launched in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to T.C. Ziraat Bankasi A.S., the largest Turkish bank, in relation to the establishment of its branch in Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and all corporate, regulatory and labour matters relating thereto. This is the first branch of a Turkish financial institution to be established in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to Gallup, Inc., the preeminent public pollster, in connection with the establishment of its branch in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to a leading Saudi Arabian technology company in connection with the establishment of a rail technology joint venture in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with a major European railway company focusing on the execution, operation and maintenance of railway infrastructure projects.
- Counsel to three major Saudi Arabian companies in connection with the acquisition of a chain of pharmacies throughout the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia through the acquisition of the holding company and the subsidiaries owning the pharmacies.
- Counsel to the sellers in connection with the sale of a majority interest in a company owning a leading Saudi Arabian supermarkets chain, including more than 42 branches in Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to a leading Saudi Arabian hotels group in connection with a SR 500,000,000 sophisticated lease of a 21-floor tower in Makkah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which involved several subleases in addition to the construction contract relating thereto.
- Counsel to a consortium comprised of Al Rajhi Holding Group CJSC, Saudi Oger Limited and TAV Havalimanlari A.S. in connection with the Public Private Partnership for the Rehabilitation, Expansion, Operation, Development and Maintenance of the Prince Mohammed Bin Abdulaziz International Airport in Madinah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which was implemented on a build-transfer-operate (BTO) basis with the Saudi Arabian General Authority of Civil Aviation, particularly in connection with all corporate and labor matters relating thereto and the formation of the special purpose vehicles necessary for the project.
- Counsel to Kimberly Clark Corporation, the leading American tissues manufacturing company in relation to the restructuring of its business in Saudi Arabia including the formation of a new subsidiary in Saudi Arabia with trading and industrial licenses.
- Counsel to a leading European paints company in connection with the merger of its manufacturing facilities and subsidiaries in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Council to Saudi Total Petroleum Products Limited, the subsidiary of the giant French petroleum company, in connection with the restructuring of its investment licenses in Saudi Arabia, including the obtainment of a new trading license and the amendment of its industrial license in King Abdullah Economic City, the new commercial and business hub in Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to three major Saudi Arabian companies, one of them is incorporated under the Foreign Investment Act, in connection with the sale and purchase of two projects’ companies, which companies are implementing governmental contracts under BTO scheme relating to the operation and maintenance of water desalination plants, including preparing the list of necessary governmental approvals and the transfer of key personal from the selling contractor to the new one. Total value of the transaction is SR 65,000,000.
- Council to Rosenbauer Saudi Arabia Limited, the subsidiary of the leading Austrian manufacturer of fire fighting vehicles and equipment in relation to the opening of a plant for firefighting vehicles and equipment in King Abdullah Economic City.
- Council to DB International GmbH, the subsidiary of the leading German railway company, in connection with the activities of its branch in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to the sellers in a preeminent Saudi Arabian company in connection with the sale of their shares in the family company. The implementation of the sale and purchase has been scheduled in 3 phases. Total value of the deal is more than SR 470,000,000.
- Council to Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction Co. Ltd., the giant Korean heavy machines and equipment manufacturer, in connection with its joint venture with a Saudi Arabian company with regard to the formation of an industrial company in Rabigh, Saudi Arabia.
- Council to Dar Al Etiman AlSaudi, the preeminent Saudi company specialized in the finance leasing of heavy machines and equipment, with a share capital of SR 100,000,000, in connection with its conversion from a limited liability company into a closed Joint stock company, as per the requirements of the Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency, including the obtainment of SAMA’s approval on the draft bylaws and conversion resolution.
- Counsel to a member of one of the consortia that was awarded works connected to the US$ 22.5 billion Riyadh Metro Project.
- Counsel to a well known power and water company in relation to various power and desalination projects.
- Counsel to the sponsors in connection with the satisfaction of the CPs for the COD relating to a power cogeneration project with Saudi Aramco in the Eastern Region. The CPs’ satisfaction included the signing of the necessary shareholders’ subordinated loan agreement, the assignment thereof in favor of the local facility agent, signing of shares pledges agreements, increasing the share capital of the project company and issuing the necessary capacity and enforceability legal opinions. Total value of the financing of the project exceeds US$ 530,000,000.
- Counsel to the seller in a leading Saudi Arabian class manufacturing company in connection with the sale of its shares in the company. The implementation of the sale and purchase has involved using the services of an escrow agent for the payment of the price. Total value of the deal is almost SR 100,000,000.
- Counsel to major Saudi Arabian companies in connection with the due diligence study for the acquisition of a chain of pharmacies comprising over than 300 pharmacies throughout the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to a leading Korean company in connection with its joint venture with Saudi Aramco for the building of shipyard project in the Eastern Region. Total value of the project exceeding hundreds of millions Saudi Riyals.
- Counsel to a Korean leading company in the power sector in connection with its joint venture with a Saudi company for the establishment of a joint venture company in Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to a leading American healthcare company in connection with its joint venture with a preeminent Saudi group for the formation of a joint venture company covering Saudi Arabia and other GCC countries.
- Counsel to an international oil service company in connection with its joint venture with a local company for the formation of the joint venture company in Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to group of sellers in a Saudi Arabian company in the restaurant business and having a franchise agreement with an international brand, in connection with the sale of their shares in the company. The payment of the price has been scheduled in three installments including the obtainment of the adequate guarantees for the receipt of payment. Total value of the deal exceeding SR 18,000,000.
- Counsel to a preeminent machines and tools lease financing company in connection with the preparation of the template lease finance contract and related documents.
- Counsel to a real estate developer in connection with the FIDIC-based construction contract for the building of Commercial, Administrative and Residential Center in an upscale district in the City of Jeddah.
- Counsel to a real estate developer in connection with the structuring of the real estate development project. Value of the project exceeds SR 1.2 billion.
- Council to the subsidiary of a giant European petroleum company, in connection with the establishment of petrol stations network in Saudi Arabia following the recent regulations relating to the rehabilitation of petrol stations.
D.E.A., University of Sorbonne, Paris I, 2002
B.A. University of Damascus, 2000
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Recognized as leading lawyer in the 2015 and 2016 editions of the Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa.
Recognized as leading lawyer in the 2016 edition of the Chambers Global Middle East.